Welcome to the Mountain View Scottish Country Dance Class
We are pleased to welcome you all to a new year of Scottish Country Dance classes, continuing at the Mountain View Sports Pavilion, at 1185 Castro Street at intersection with Miramonte Avenue. MAP
Classes start the first Wednesday after Labor Day (September 7, 2016) with Introductory class for old and new friends (FREE for first timers) at the Mountain View Sports Pavilion. Classes are held most Wednesdays and lessons cost $10.00 per week, with full-session pre-pay welcome.
There are two main semesters:
- September through December (15 weeks, September 7 - December 14, 2016)
- January through May (22 weeks, January 4 - May 31, 2017)
There are two class levels: a basic skills class and a class for experienced dancers.
Teachers' Schedule: TBD
- Fall (Sept - Oct), Basic Skills - Rachel Pusey
- Fall (Sept - Oct), Experienced - Alan Twhigg
- Fall (Nov - Dec), Basic Skills - Armin Busse
- Fall (Nov - Dec), Experienced - Laura Cooper
- January through May, Basic Skills - TBD
- January through May, Experienced - TBD
- 7:45 pm: All meet for warm-ups and announcements (come earlier if you have questions)
- 8:00 pm: Class divides for lessons
- 9:30 pm: Rejoin for social dancing and cool down
Other Useful Information
Parties and special events are planned throughout the year and will be announced in class.
PLEASE arrive promptly...we appreciate your consideration! The sign-in table will be located inside the main hall so any late-comers will be asked to enter and sign-in quietly so as not to disturb the classes already in session.
Signing-in (and paying!) is especially important for insurance purposes. Even if you've pre-paid we still need your signature to verify attendance for insurance, should anything happen.
Wearing nametags or dance-buttons is strongly encouraged, both to help introduce everyone as well as identify the dancers for the teachers.
Plan to stay for social dancing -- that's what Scottish country dancing is all about! This is a chance for newcomers and more experienced dancers to get acquainted.
During the year we encourage all dancers to attend the Branch Monthly Parties, especially when the Mountain View Class is hosting. Monthly Parties are typically held the first Saturdays of the month, October through June, and take place in venues throughout the SF Bay Area.
At least twice a year, the Mountain View Class schedules a "Town Hall Meeting" where teachers, managers and dancers can share news, concerns and suggestions for the benefit of the class. These meetings traditionally take place in October and March and are held at the end of class. All dancers are encouraged to attend.
Shoes and clothing:
If you don't have Scottish country dance footwear ("ghillies"), please find shoes with soft, non-skid, flexible soles. Light weight sneakers are OK. Some floors and shoes make for more slippery combinations than others. Ask teachers, managers, or fellow dancers for advice re: treating dance shoes with non-slip goop (class tube and brush available at sign-in desk). Some venues allow us to have "slip-stop" powder for dipping our shoes into when the floor is particularly slippery.
Women are encouraged to wear dresses or skirts and tops and those men who have them, wear kilts, or often will wear shorts. It's traditional... and also much easier for teachers to observe everyone's dancing technique if they can actually see the legs and feet!
Again, welcome! This class has been dancing for over 20 years. Please join us!
- Janet Kitajima: (650) 567-9285
- Jewel Murphy: (925) 360-7685
- Alan Twhigg: (650) 962-1939
- Lin Pettengill: (650) 455-3872
- Paula Jacobson: (408) 464-3514
- Armin Busse: (408) 218-5255
or email us at: email@example.com